1. Defensive Pressure. The crazy-active Drew Schrock and the rest of the West Holmes line-up made the end of the game for the Hawks a rugged one. After trailing by as many as 19 points in the third quarter, the Knights turned up the dial on the defense and got the game to within four points with a little over a minute to play in the game.
2. Generating Turnovers. In order to get themselves back in the game with Hiland, West Holmes knew they had to force the tempo. That equaled some key turnovers for the Hawks. Seven second half Hiland giveaways helped the Knights make it interesting down the stretch.
3. Chase-ing Down Buckets. Freshman Chase Wells, who finished with 10 points on the night, hit a trifecta late in the game and then hit the jumper from the baseline that cut the Hawks lead to six. He also assisted on Chance Cline’s beautiful, yet tough reverse lay-up that cut the lead to four. But, that would be as close as the Knights would get.
4. The Dunk. (video) Talk about a momentum play. Senior Levi Jones put down a dunk with authority to help fuel the West Holmes comeback run. Jones took a Cline pass from the wing, took one dribble and lifted off into West Holmes folklore with an explosion to the rim.
5. Heart. The character oozed from the Knights during the second half was nearly inspirational. Having been down big in the second half, it could have been easy for the Knights go through the motions. That’s not what Keith Troyer teams do though. West Holmes showed an incredible amount of desire to will themselves back in to the showdown with the Hawks.